Monday, August 9, 2010

Blogging The Book - Complete Photo Guide To Ribbon Crafts - Part 1

The Complete Photo Guide to Ribbon Crafts: *All You Need to Know to Craft with Ribbon *The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Ribbon Crafters *Packed ... Instructions for Over 100 Projects
 
The Complete Photo Guide of Ribbon Crafts - Book Review - Part 1
I'm obsessed with ribbon at the moment and have found the most amazing book by Elaine Schmidt.
I just zipped across to Amazon and notice it has  good reviews there too, so I'm not alone.

I thought I would cover this book over a series of posts to give a better overview for ribbon lovers. First, I have to say, I would really recommend this book.It's the most comprehensive I've seen (224 pages), and covers a lot I haven't seen before,. The full colour photos and clear instructions are a big part of this.

Chapters include -

A Brief History of Ribbon
I found this fascinating.
  • Did you know they used ribbon to adorn clothes in Ancient Egypt?
  • Did you know that during the 16th Century the British Parliament tried to make wearing ribbons a right only of the nobility?
All About Ribbons
Covers different types of ribbon from satin to metallic and stylish ways for trimming up ribbon "ends"

Making Bows
This was an eye opener to me with full colour photo instructions for an amazing array of bows - many I'd never seen before.

There are also chapters on - 
  • Ribbon Flowers
  • Ribbon Embroidery
  • Ribbon Trims, Rosettes & Tassels
  • Ribbon Weaving, Patchwork & Knitting
  • Sew & No Sew Ribbon Techniques
  • Ribbon Accessories
  • Crafting With Ribbon (including Papercrafts)
  • Resources
Available from Amazon - $16.49

First Impressions of The Complete Photo Guide To Ribboncrafts
Loved the broad coverage and ideas
New bow styles I hadn't seen, but definitely want to try
Not just for papercrafters (e.g. sewing and knitting with ribbon too), but lots that could be adapted.

Watch out for Part 2 of the Review with specific details e,g, all the different bows covered, in a future blog post.

Over To You
Have you read this book? Do you have any other Ribbon book recommendations?

There's also a Complete Photo Guide of Papercrafts in the same series. I'll be looking for that one, for sure.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to look at my blog. I hope you will visit again.